ServerDomes: Able to Grow with Rack Density Growth

Data collected by the Uptime Institutes confirms that data center rack densities have been steadily increasing over the years. (For those who don’t know, rack density refers to the amount of power, measured in kilowatts, that’s consumed by the equipment within a single rack in a data center.)

In 2011, the average rack density in a data center was around 2.4 kW per rack, which is relatively low by today’s standards. Fast forward to 2020, and the average rack density has increased to approximately 10 kW per rack.

Being an average density, we need to understand that 61% of data centers are still using less than 10 kW per rack. This means the remaining 39% of data centers are the ones contributing to the higher average density. Among them, only 16% are operating at densities of 20 kW per rack or more. This means that there’s a significant diversity in how data centers are managing their rack densities.

Looking ahead, it’s anticipated that by 2025, average rack densities will likely be within the range of 15-20 kW per rack. This projection is based on the continuous advancement of technology, the need for more efficient use of space and power, and the increasing demand for processing power driven by AI.

Until recently, it was widely believed that free air-cooling systems in data centers couldn’t handle these high rack densities. But ServerDomes data centers has changed the paradigm.

Its patented geodesic dome structure maximizes the potential for efficient cooling by creating a substantial surface area for air intake at the dome’s lower perimeter and facilitating exhaust around the cupola’s circumference. In addition, the air handling units in a ServerDome data center can achieve an impressive airflow of up to 750,000 cubic feet per minute, with the airflow speed equivalent to that of a gentle breeze.

By leveraging its advantage of surface area and high-volume air flow, the ServerDome has the capacity to accommodate high density racks, offering an average power availability of 25 kW per rack for all racks, with a peak power availability of 40 kW per rack.

This distinctive fusion of effective airflow management and ample power availability makes ServerDomes exceptionally well-equipped to navigate the projected surge in rack density, and the range variation that will accompany it. Furthermore, the inherent modularity of the ServerDome design facilitates effortless expansion, allowing it to address existing requirements while guaranteeing the ability to meet future demands.

Truly making ServerDomes a forward-looking solution.

Success Requires a (Data) Plan

Having the ability to instantaneously scale up is essential in today’s viral market. So, ironically, many have suffered the consequences of their own success by not having the infrastructure to deal with a sudden surge. And one of the best arguments for companies to migrate to the cloud. However, having that kind of access comes with a price.

Read More >